Re: Three guys and a roadster

To: "snyler" <marc@animalfirm.com>, "datsunmike"
Subject: Re: Three guys and a roadster
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:50:20 -0700
>Marc Wrote - I thought the whole point of POR is not having to sandblast
it.  POR stands for paint over rust, after all. You would need to take it to
bare metal in order to powder-coat it, however.  I'd go POR or Corrolless
muhself.

True - Paint Over Rust = POR
You don't need to blast the frame.

You do need to Knock off as much as possible to give a proper bonding
surface. Wire brush it till your sure every rust flake has been dislodged.

POR -15 suggests you take it to the next level and etch the surface with a
zinc phosphate acid wash (They will sell you their "Metal Ready" product,
but there are other brands of the same product).

Your left with a clean surface ready to paint. the pits will be there but
clear of rust.

Ok, so you've done both steps, have you removed the rust? No Way! rust is
more than "skin deep". If you painted with regular paint now, the rust will
come back!