Re: Aluminum Radiators

To: "Leonard Sprague" <sprague@ufl.edu>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum Radiators
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster2@texoma.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:26:31 -0500
Heat transfer is a strange world.  The coolant has to travel fast enough so
it doesn't boil at the point of pickup (block/head in this case).  It also
has to travel slow enough to transfer heat to the radiator.  The following
URL will give a crude idea of what I'm talking about.
http://home.texoma.net/~sitsinwest/temp/flow.jpg

Liquid travels fastest in the center of a pipe slowing as it approaches the
wall of the pipe.  It is possible to push the coolant through the center of
the tube at a fast rate not giving it sufficient time to transfer the heat.
This happens if the radiator is too small or the flow rate is too high.
More tubes in a radiator will slow the coolant speed through each tube
allowing more time to dump the heat.  It is a balancing act that can get
rather tricky to make work.

If you are certain that you have proper flow rate for the engine, the only
alternative is a larger radiator.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
Denison, TX