A Transmission question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: A Transmission question
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:08:41 -0700
Hi everybody!

I've got a question and hopefully one of you have an answer.

A couple of months ago, I noticed what I would call a mild purring sound
coming from a location near the shifter area.  Moving the shifter (while in
gear) seems to change the tone of the purr too.   At first, I thought it might
have something to do with my speedometer not working.  Both seemed to happen
about the same time  and I seemed to recall that the cable went to the
transmission.  Note that the transmission shifts fine in all gears and seems
to function fine all around.

However, I have now realized that the cable doesn't actually go to the
transmission.  Now I begin to worry a little.  Maybe the trans is leaking
fluid so today I take it in and have the fluid checked and replaced.  It
wasn't low but I thought 'what the heck'.  The mechanic drained it while I
watched and I jokingly said "at least there are no large chunks".  Well, he
leans over and shows me the drain plug and says "one large chunk"!

Upon further inspection, the 'large chunk' was actually a small round ball,
like a bearing but shinier (IMHO), just under .25 inches in diameter - maybe
3/10th of a cm.  Any ideas what this ball belongs to and is it something that
I've got to pull the engine and tear apart the trans to fix right now?

Man, it just seems to be running too well to be something that is going to
force me to do a major tear down?

On a brighter note, the weather is FANTASTIC in the NW right now.  It is truly
roadster weather.

Jon