Re: Cat converters and more on exhaust systems

To: RacerY@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Cat converters and more on exhaust systems
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 05:26:07 GMT
I would love to inject it, but I have so much money tied up in carburetors it
would be hard to justify, especially since I would want individual throttle
bodies, and I just bought brand new 45mm Dellortos!  I hear you though, and I
know it can and has been done.  Computer controlled EFI really changed
things... pretty cool stuff.  However, with a lot of work, time, jets and the
right A/F meter I should be able to dial in the carbs pretty good for the
local area (I'll be rich at Shasta though!).
Thanks to all for the info on the cat converters.  Looks like a well
intentioned waste of time and money however.  I'll focus on getting her to run
as efficiently and as cleanly as possible the way she is, and justify my
emissions output by driving a nice "clean" and efficient newer car most of the
time :-)
Greg

-- RacerY@comcast.net wrote:
If you want it to work reliably and cleanly,
my input would be to fuel inject it...
While carbs CAN work with converters,
injection gives much better control of the A/F mixture,
can listen to an 02 sensor, and will 'keep itself in tune' by
dynamically adjusting parameters way beyond what a carb
can sense.

Take a look at MegaSquirt or similar- it's not a ton of money,
and IF TUNED well, will emit less, run better, and probably make
at least as much, if not more, power.

You won't reach 'new car' levels of emission due to the head design,
but you'll get a lot closer than it was!

my '.02

Toby