RE: Cat converters and more on exhaust systems

To: "'RoadsterList'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cat converters and more on exhaust systems
From: "John Roper" <john@roper-photo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:23:09 -0600
>My exhaust is a 2 inch pipe running back to a
> dynomax turbo muffler just behind the last x frame, then just over the
>rear axle and out.  I am thinking of adding a small cat between the two x
>frames to see what happens.
> Has anyone else done any such thing?

Honestly, if you really care about the environment as much as you say you
do, you'd take that engine out and put an SR20DE or KA24DE in it. That alone
would make a HUGE difference in the emissions. Then adding a cat to that
would make it clean and green.

>I'm not an engineer (although I often play one at work <grin>), but I doubt
>you'll accomplish what you want without a complete re-design of the intake,
>exhaust and ignition systems to work with the converter.

I couldn't disagree more. Other than an over-rich condition clogging it up
sooner, the cat cares not what's ahead of it. Nor does the carb care what's
behind it. I will say this, for it to work effectively, you need a REALLY
good tune on those carbs, or just follow my above suggestion.

>For one thing they don't like leaded gas

Who the heck is still running leaded gas???