Re: Cat converters and more on exhaust systems

To: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>, Roadster
Subject: Re: Cat converters and more on exhaust systems
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:23:02 -0600
> Greg Burrows

> Ok, while I know that I don't drive the blaster that much (summers only),
> there is no doubt that emissions-wise this is one dirty car (67 2000, big cam,
> big carbs, high compression, ported head etc etc and no emission controls).  I
> was talking to my friend and performance guru last night, and with my rising
> concerns about the environment I asked him about the performance detriment of
> a catalytic converter.  He said that adding one would result in virtually no
> performance loss and would help clean up emissions.  He said that it was a big
> misconception that today's converters rob power, and that he laughs at those
> "performance" people who say the first thing they are gonna do is remove the
> cats.  My exhaust is a 2 inch pipe running back to a dynomax turbo muffler
> just behind the last x frame, then just over the rear axle and out.  I am
> thinking of adding a small cat between the two x frames to see what happens.
> Has anyone else done any such thing?

Greg,

I'm not an engineer (although I often play one at work <grin>), but I doubt
you'll accomplish what you want without a complete re-design of the intake,
exhaust and ignition systems to work with the converter. For one thing they
don't like leaded gas, and possibly octane boosters, and the amount of work
and expense would be all of proportion with any reduction in emissions, if
there actually was a reduction.

Before I tried it I'd talk to an automotive engineering prof, preferably at
a school with a Formula SAE program or something similar.

FWIW,
Ron