fot

Re: The questions three.

To: jfl@neoucom.edu
Subject: Re: The questions three.
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 23:59:59 -0700 (MST)
For the 4/2/1 header, there is a Maniflow unit that Vizard's company, APT,
has available.  I've been meaning to get one and try it out, have been running
a basic Pacesetter 4/1 header for a while on Killer, and think a 4/2/1 would
offer some improvement in midrange grunt coming out of the turns.  I know
that the Triumph Sports Six Club has listed some nice looking stainless units
from Bell, I think it is, maybe Falcon, that are available in England.  Perhaps
Ted S. has something stashed away at his place.  APT and TSI contact info
should be in Chris K's monster list.

The 1500 body has a tad more room in the back than the roundtail Spits, but
running 205/60 or 205/50 tires may be troublesome.  There could be some
interference with the inner lip of the fender.  We ran 225/45 Hoosiers on
8" wheels on a squaretail (Junior, the red Spit on my web page) with no
trouble.  With Killer, a roundtail tub, we have some interference with the
fender lip, due in large part to a rear spring and spacer that drops the rear
just under an inch.  185/60 should be no sweat, though.

This is an area where I wish I had a few more bucks to throw at the car.
I'd like to do some back to back tests with the 225/45 tires versus a 185/60.
For the Hoosier Autocrossers, (the older style bias ply, not the new radials)
these two sizes have the same sidewall dimensions, the 225 is basicaly the 185
with an extra inch or two stuck in the middle.  And looking at the wear
patterns on the 225, it may be that the lightness of the Spit and the camber
situation would allow a narrower 185 tire to heat up more quickly, provide
similar amounts of grip with less rolling resistance than the 225 tires.
I get the feeling Killer is only using about 2/3rds of the 225/45s.  Then
again, I may opt for a fresh set of the Hoosier radials this season, see how
they do.  The radial vs. bias ply construction could complicate the issues.
So many tires, so few dollars.

In the front spring department, we started out with some 330 pound springs
from TriumphTune.  They were a tad too light, so when the modified rear
spring was installed, we went to a 425 pound front spring.  This setup has
proved to be fairly well balanced.  The main thing I plan to do, possibly before
our first event this year, is to get some new springs made that are about 10%
or so stiffer, and an inch or so shorter.  I think we need to lower the front
end just a bit.  Also, on launch and coming out of the turns, there appears to
be too much squat in back, which has me thinking a small Z bar on the rear
may be worth checking out.  But of course, that would affect the front to rear
spring balance, needs more thought.  Maybe when the bodywork and interior are
finally finished, and the car is at final race weight, we'll measure the actual
wheel rates, corner weights, etc.

I just need to make sure I get the car to VTR this year, see if John Lye can
manage to drive a little car and whip my butt.  Unless he gets a hot TR4 ride
offered, of course.  Yikes, 3 weeks until the first IVR event, 4 weeks until
the first autocross.  I better get busy.

mjb.