fot

RE: GT-6/Spitfire brakes

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: RE: GT-6/Spitfire brakes
From: "Jim Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:38:12 -0500
Much as I hate to continue the madness.. :-)

With the master diameter staying the same, a smaller rear wheel cylinder
diameter will equate to a higher pedal EFFORT to get the same "pressing
force" for the shoes into the drum.

Taken to the extremes, if you keep going smaller on the rear wheel cylinder
diameter you can get to the point where you get no useful braking from the
rear of the car.  If you go larger (in the extreme) you will start locking
the rear wheels quickly and ulimately will shatter the drum.  With the
necessity to pump a few times along the way :-)

The Spitfire is a bit nose heavy which can translate to the rear end getting
light under hard braking.  And once you start locking the rears the Spitfire
is transformed into a... a... Porsche!

So, back to the original question.  My suggestion:  get a matched pair of
wheel cylinders AND a brake bias adjuster and go play.

Or keep you eyes open for a GT6 rear axles setup.

Cheers,

Jim