fot

Re: Eastwood Tin Zinc Plating kit

To: jaboruch <jaboruch@netzero.net>, Amici Triumphi <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Eastwood Tin Zinc Plating kit
From: Justin <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 13:33:03 -0800
Joe...

Some food for thought...

I've always been concerned about weakening the metal (as you have
obviously shown the same concern.) . See this question and answer link:
http://www.finishing.com/2200-2399/2278.html

Click on "Zinc" :
http://www.metalsurfaces.com/Processes/Milspec/milspec.asp#zinc

Types of Zinc Processes
http://www.iams.org/iamsorg/p2iris/metalfinish/1254-p.htm

For most parts, I doubt there's much reason for concern.  (And they do
have the oven trick for some applications!)   However, dollar for
dollar,  I'm more inclined to have parts bead blasted and then powder
coated. (In a light color if the ability to look for cracks is key.)
Neither are expensive propositions if done in bulk, rather than a part at
a time.

On the other hand.... plating would be nice...  And plating in Zinc is
not nearly as expensive as chrome plating. (i.e. the economics of
doing-it-yourself might not be as attractive as you thought.  And don't
forget, you would have these chemicals hanging around your garage!)

I guess I'm not much help here!  : )

--Justin Wagner