fot

RE: Rear leaf springs

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear leaf springs
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:21:39 -0800
This is just opinion, I don't have any real testing to back it up, but I
find that soft rear springs on TR3s seem to work better. I tried
stiffening the rear spring when I lowered everything on my Cheater TR3,
and the understeer got a lot worse. Of course I was changing about five
things at once, so who knows. I went to softer springs and stiffer damping
and it got better. Then I radically changed the front suspension and the
car handled great. I monkeyed around with a rear sway bar, and that's
gracing my parts shelf now. Also gathering dust is a set of home-made
anti-tramping bars which are probably similar to the torque rods you're
talking about (I suspect). I may have gotten the geometry wrong, but mine
stiffened the rear end and made it hop under acceleration. Exactly the
opposite of what I intended.

Peyote has a fairly complex system of panhard bar and torque rod that sits
well above the axle. Works fine.