fot

RE: Tires - A032R - 205-60/15"

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>,
Subject: RE: Tires - A032R - 205-60/15"
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:23:44 -0800
Not that it matters much, but there are no real government certifications
anymore. All these standards are simply testing specifications that the
manufacturer must certify their products pass. Any manufacturer bears the
full burden of product liability and testing. It's exactly as it should be
(who wants nitwits in the government certifying anything?) except that
there are cadres of lawyers waiting for some idiot to do something
monumentally stupid with a product. "Well, it didn't say on the label that
I shouldn't stick it up my..."  We all groan when we see another
ridiculous settlement, but we should be angry enough to demand a change,
because it's our freedom that gets compromised, our choices that are
reduced, and our money that is paying for settlements and such valuable
results as warning labels on coffee that say it's hot.

If a manufacturer doesn't expect a market will be lucrative enough to pay
for the risk of liability, they won't sell in that market. There are all
kinds of useful products that are available in the rest of the world that
are not available in the USA. Guess why.