fot

Re: [Fot] Recalcentrant Bolt!!!

To: Mark Eginton <mee23@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Recalcentrant Bolt!!!
From: Jim Prettyleaf <jprettyleaf@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:34:09 -0700 (PDT)
  Mark,

  Well now I see the problem.  I never could get the front pulley bolt off of
any engine with the pan on.  You gotta take the pan off then place a tuba-4
between the first crank throw and a stout portion of the block before you start
pounding away with the half inch air impact.  If you don't already own a set of
six point air-impact sockets now would be a good time to buy them.  Sears
should have air-impact sockets in stock for a reasonable price.  I also
recommend soaking the bolt in penetrating oil. Kroil is really great stuff, and
I have previously used it with excellent results on some really large rusty
nuts and bolts, but any decent penetrating oil is better than no lubrication at
all.

  J. Prettyleaf

Mark Eginton <mee23@cornell.edu> wrote:

This weekend I plan to pull the pan (gotta do it anyway), use a 2x4 to lock
the crank and I plan a WWF smackdown - wish me luck...