fot

Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing

To: "Andre Rousseau" <andre@gt6.ca>
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 06:45:04 -0700
What makes you think bodies aren't already acid dipped? I'm working on
that "personal lightening program"--have a weight bet going with my
brother. Actually I think the most serious problem in vintage racing
is more that the valuable cars can't be changed much--it would
decrease their sky-high value--while specials and production racers
can skirt the edge of the rulebook. That means there isn't a
testarossa on the planet that can stay with Peyote, which is both
silly and sad. We don't get to see them on track very often anymore--
they are too valuable to risk and the owners don't like getting
hammered by cars they should be able to romp over.

I don't know how to fix that. Making Peyote slow won't change anything
but the finish order at a few races. All the fast triumphs are
rulebook-legal, more or less. Or could be without putting a serious
dent in their lap times. The worst anyone is doing is running 89mm
bores, and that's a tweak--not really worth much--you can get nearly
the same horsepower with a 87. Pandoras box is knowledge, we all know
how to make a car fast, we all have access to the learning of the last
50 years, and it goes into our cars, while testarossas are stuck in
time.

Of course if I had a TR the first thing I'd do would be to make a
replica of the frame, only in titanium, and a carbon fibre body. Then...
On Oct 23, 2008, at 5:45 AM, Andre Rousseau wrote:

> I guess that is the nature of racing, those with money will do what
> ever it
> costs to win.
>
> What's next acid dipping of the bodies?
>
> Frankly if I wanted to make my "future" racer lighter. I'd start with
> myself.
>
> A.
>
> --
> Andre Rousseau - andre@gt6.ca
> '68 Triumph GT6 MK1 - http://www.gt6.ca/
> Ottawa, ON, Canada
>
> 2008/10/23 <Group44TR7@aol.com>
>
>> Good Morning
>>
>>       What I am observing is that  some vintage racing groups are
>> going
>> down the same path as CanAm and FI by  allowing expensive
>> modifications to
>> take
>> place. Is there really a need to have  Kevlar bodywork on a
>> Spitfire or TR6
>> in
>> vintage racing?
>>
>>       It has always struck me as  rather hypocritical that vintage
>> groups
>> wanted owners to use pre 1972 body  specification and have the true
>> appearance
>> of post 1972 cars destroyed. Now we  are putting Kevlar replacement
>> panels
>> look like pre 1972 cars.
>>
>>       I have to wonder why the  people doing these modifications
>> are not
>> instead running SCCA. I am just as  guilty as the next person here,
>> our
>> engines
>> are too modified. They are nothing  like what was raced in the
>> 1970s and
>> earlier.
>>
>>       Vintage may be making  itself too expensive too.
>>
>> Baseball Dad

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com