fot

Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing

To: "Norlin Engineering" <norlinengineering@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of Vintage Racing
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:09:10 -0700
Yikes, I think you're running in different nationals than I did. I
found national DSR racing to be way more brutal than the regional
stuff. Lots of bodywork replacement and goof-off to get the tire marks
off.

All SCCA racing is done to a much different competition standard than
vintage racing. Donuts on the side of your car is just part of the
game. "Racing room" is a tenuous concept when the other guy really
NEEDS the same spot you plan to occupy. And that leads to the only
thing I'd caution you about. Switching from SCCA to "real" vintage
racing takes some mental discipline. Even the SCCA vintage is supposed
to be non-contact but the stewards generally are nowhere near as tough
on it, and the racing reflects that. When you move to an organization
that will put you on the trailer for a love tap, and drivers who will
be righteously pissed if you block pass them, you need a calmer
approach.