fot

[Fot] Why the dearth of Spitfire vintage racers?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Why the dearth of Spitfire vintage racers?
From: "Jim" <britbits@netzero.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 22:40:28 -0500
Just got back from a weekend of vintage racing with the Corinthians Vintage
Auto Racing group as the new track near Dallas (Eagle Canyon Raceway) and
one burning question popped into mind:

What's the ratio of Spitfires vs Austin Healey Sprite/MG Midgets in vintage
racing?

In CVAR there's a gent named Roger Williams that originated a "Spec Sprite"
class in CVAR, (basically a post 1970 Spriget bodyshell with barely warmed
over 1275 and a $35 Firestone spec tire) and directly built a bunch and
encouraged others to build more.  Those cars have bounced between FP and
Spec Sprite over the last 10 years depending upon owner's budget and
willingness to be honest.  So that may skew the numbers a tad.

This weekend there were roughly 12 Spridgets (8 FP and 4 Spec Sprite)..  And
only 1 Spitfire in FP.  In 15 years I've only ever seen 4 different
Spitfires (3 round tail and 1 squaretail "Mk IV" ;) and never witnessed more
than one Spitfire running at a time.

On the flip side, if I counted cars using Spitfire (ok, Herald) based front
suspensions the ratio gets turned over, when you condider the Loti, FF, and
token TVRs that show up from time to time.

Back to the subject line, is it purely the rear swing axle/diff issue?

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas