fot

Re: [Fot] Why the dearth of Spitfire vintage racers?

To: britbits@netzero.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Why the dearth of Spitfire vintage racers?
From: John Nikas <capecoventryracing@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:06:28 -0700
Here on the West Coast, Triumphs outnumber every other marque with Spitfires
well represented. In VARA (FP), we have no fewer than three to five (equal
to the number of Spridgets) while in the larger DP class we have almost 9
regular TR4's plus another couple of big Spits.  Twice this year we have had
more than 17 Triumphs with 23 at Fontana.  Typically, Triumphs (or at least
Triumph drivers) will sweep the majority of classes in which they are
entered.

Part of this credit should go to Kas who continually inspires us to get out
there and race, and the rest should go to the drivers who take their old
Triumphs and compete against (and beat) their German, Italian and Japanese
competition even with outdated technology, heavier cars and longer tracks
(which often put us at a disadvantage against the 2002s and 510s.

Just a brief thought as to how things are out here.

--
Very truly yours,

John Nikas
Cape Coventry Racing