fot

Re: [Fot] Why the dearth of Spitfire vintage racers?

To: "'Scott Cypher'" <srcypher@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Why the dearth of Spitfire vintage racers?
From: "Jim" <britbits@netzero.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:39:44 -0500
Scott,

That makes sense for cars with some history.

As to Spitfire vs Spridget availablility... Originally they sold roughly in
the same quantities.  The Spitfire has 2 distinct body styles and the
Spridgets have 2 distinct body styles (Bugeye/early and later).

The 1500 engine isn't legal for vintage groups that use the '72 cutoff.  So
most people look at squaretail Spitfires and say "naaaah".  Whereas most MG
people look at 1500 Midgets and say "they're trash, make a race car out of
them".

I'm directly responsible for one of the Spec Sprites in CVAR as I'd
collected the parts for such a car and "loaned" them to someone wanting to
build up a cheap racecar.  About the same time my home owners association
started objecting to the junk yard building up in the backyard.

It'd be interesting to see what the comparison is between original
production of 1296 small bearing Spitfires vs 1275 Spridgets.  On a side
note, it is possible to convert a Mini FWD 1275 block for a Spridget, vastly
increasing the basic block supply.  Not cranks, just blocks.

CVAR will accept a squaretail Spitfire shell, as long as it's not fitted
with a  1500.  The problem is that there's a limited supply of Mk3 engines.

Anyone successfully running a big bearing 1296?

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas