fot

[Fot] Brake balance bar

Subject: [Fot] Brake balance bar
From: paulricco at att.net (Paul Ricco)
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 07:46:50 -0500
PJ,

Yes on a suggestion.  We have set up several of these over the years.  Assuming
that everything else in the brake system is plumbed and working correctly, what
you have going on with the balance bar is an indication that you do not have
the right size master cylinder bores for the car.  One of the many advantages
of the system that your car has, includes being able to select the right size
master cylinders for the weight distribution of the car, differences between
the front/rear wheel cylinders and the type of brake feel that you want.
Furthermore, the front and rear masters do not have to be the same size (They
seldom should be).  The balance bar is meant to be for FINE adjustments.  It
sounds to me like it is being used for a much bigger imbalance in the system.
That will not work well.

If it is a Tilton pedal assembly, they have a worksheet on their website.  You
can fill it out and submit it to their engineering department via email.  In
about 3 days, you will get an email back with their recommendation for master
cylinders.  They will want to know what type of pedal feel that you want.  They
do not charge for this service.  The larger the bores, the more pedal pressure
you will have.

Pegasus Auto Racing Supply keeps all of the master cylinders in stock and they
are very easy to change (provided the pedal assembly is installed correctly).
It is really a very easy problem to address.  I would guess that when the
assembly was installed, that someone skipped the step of finding out what size
masters are correct for the car.

Good Luck,

Paul Ricco