FREE RIDES

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: FREE RIDES
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:47:21 -0500
Keith, List,

  The "USS Wankel" (That's my '71 Datsun RX510) has only been driven by 4
other people besides me in the 15 years I've had it.  The fact that it was a
street car (and will be til they MAKE me take it off the road.) had a lot to
do with that.  The other problem has always been high-strung rotaries
without rev limiters.  They can be absolutely unforgiving when you miss a
shift.  The rear wheels stop turning real quick when you spin 'em up around
15,000 RPM and they try to shove a rotor through the side of the engine.  We
used to call it "clutch brakes."  Rear wheels locking up whenever you let
out the clutch with the car in gear, since the engine would never turn
again.  That said, I think I'd still let Jay Leno drive the car if he was
interested.  Tim Allen would have to leave a security deposit.

Chuck Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC