Re: Dump Truck Engines

To: Dave Mann <davemann@roadsters.com>, KingGlamis@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dump Truck Engines
From: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:27:12 -0400 (EDT)
My first car was a 1949 Chev that my dad helped
me put a 302 Jimmy in.  It was a gas engine
though.  Is this the same motor you guys are
talking about?  If so, that was the true stealth
weapon of the 40s and 50s. It just took a little
sledge hammer work, and moving the radiator
forwar a little to get it in.  Dad hogged out the
intake manifold and put some kind of 2-bbl carb
on it - I think it came from a straight 8 Buick
or something. Most guys thought the motor was
just a plaine jane chevy, but I chewed up every
flathead rod in town.  Even when the Chev v8 came
out in 55, it was two years before anybody around
town did enough soup-up to any of them to take my
jimmy-powered chev.  As a mater of fact, the
first car ever to beat me was a 57 chev with a
paxton blower on it.  That jimmy had some kind of
torque!!
Dick J