RE: Electronics vs. old way Nastalgia class

To: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com, land-speed@autox.team.net, bbutters@dmi.net
Subject: RE: Electronics vs. old way Nastalgia class
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 07:35:11 -0800 (PST)
Doug, I think you're missing a subtle point here.
 Those were the days when the greatest
breakthrough in automotive history was one HP per
cubic inch.  What are production cars doing now 3
1/2 or 4 or even more in decent rice burners with
variable cam timing etc? Some of us just want to
have a place for some of the vintage stuff to
still have fun.  I don't think a 300 inch
flathead is going to fare too well against an
electronic injected, computer ignitioned 302
small block do you?  Those old Ardun conversions,
finned aluminum flatheads, nail head Buicks,
Y-block Fords with three deuces, 392 Hemis with
dual fours or Hilborns, and straight eight Buicks
ought to have a place to be showcased other than
in magazine articles and museums! Do I feel
threatened - hell no, I'm going to run my
flathead roadster anyway, but it sure doesn't
have much of a chance against a 289 Cobra or a
5.0 Mustang!  But that doesn't mean I wouldn't
like to have a place where I could still run in a
competetive race. Don't worry, the old timers
will never threaten the mega buck, monster cubic
inch, electronically sparked, computer controled
cars.  I'm sure you'll feel the pinch a little
when your forhead gets longer and your belt gets
bigger and the jet turbine cars, anti-gravity
crusers, and nuclear powered zillion mile per
hour science fiction racers of the future start
to crowd your big block and every other internal
combustion engine into antiquity. If that new,
leading edge, high tech stuff is what is most
important, then NHRA, Indycar, and F-1 events
have a lot of it!  I for one, would still like to
see old Novis, Alphas, and Offys run, but they
can't share the track with modern stuff.  In LSR
we race one at a time, so anything has a safe
place on the track. There's room for all of us in
LSR and I hope it stays that way.

--- dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com wrote:
> youve got to be kidding- a nostalgia class.  a
> car with electronic fuel
> injection cant race against a car with
> mechanical fuel injection? a car
> with exhaust thermocouples cant race against a
> car without them ?  a car
> with an electronic rev limiter cant race
> against a car without one?  - this
> is rediculous - are you guys that threatened by
> some electronics that you
> cannot throw down and race against them? - from
> hearing about the
> "nostalgia" days from my pop, these were the
> days where you raced hardcore,
> with what you had - street or drags- the days
> of the real heads up warriors
> -not worried about what the other guy had under
> his hood ( oh, please
> excuse me -i'm sorry - i cannot race you
> because youve got a new 409 chevy)
> -race to the death ! - victory !       -none of
> this whining crap   - if
> the "nostalgia" method is so great - go out and
> show em and kick their a- -
> es instead of sissifying this sport with a new
> "wheelchair" classification
> !
>
> and you know what else, now youre gonna get
> record hunters unplugging their
> oxygen sensors just so that they can grab the
> equivalent record in your
> "nostalgia" class ! -
>
> best regards -
> doug @ black radon engineering