Re: Rules

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules
From: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:56:37 -0500
well ardundoug, i havent run at ANY scta events, NOT A SINGLE ONE , but ive
spent many hours watching other cars go thru tech at them, possibly more
than you, so i can speak from some personal experience, and what i saw with
my own eyes was a joke safety and rule wise. ILL FLAME THE FIRE RIGHT NOW
!!!,-    i saw a record holding modified sports running well over 200 mph
year after year, and when this guy came thru tech, he had violations
obvious to me , a dumb , unexperienced, rookie bystander such as:
1. closed end acorn nuts on his wheels
2. no washers on alloy wheels
3. a backseat bulkhead fabbed out of some kind of plastic shower curtain
material ty-wrapped in flapping in the breeze with huge gaps to the drivers
compartment
4. a true garbage rollcage without any scta required gussets, and safety
padding quite questionable
5. a driver side restraint consisting of a window net from the roof to the
rocker panel held in with several small ty-wraps thru sharp holes on
sheetmetal that were literally punched with an awl, i could have thrown a
fastball at the net and it would have ripped out !!!

there were quite a few other problems which i cannot remember right now,
but the car overall was a safety NIGHTMARE, not to mention it was a real
piece of **** to be going 200 + mph  - i watched this car slip right thru
tech, with the CHIEF tech inspector , yes, numero uno, of the scta
performing and signing off his primary inspection, but they knew each other
on a first name basis so that makes his car safe, his independent backup
inspection consisted of the first inspector walking over to the second one
and saying quote " hey, sign off (name's) car, its good to go", and he
signed it off without even looking over his shoulder at the car. a couple
cars later a guy with a beautiful, safe, well constructed altered who came
all the way from austrailia literally got his balls BUSTED by the scta
inspectors because his same metal backseat bulkhead had  tiny gap that a
fruitfly couldnt get thru , im talking 30 thousandths of an inch , i was
truly disgusted that another guy was ok with a bulkhead that would have
instantly melted if it came in contact with fuel, not to mention plastic is
flammable on its own, and he was already lining up in the staging lanes. so
this is a  SPECIFIC PROBLEM I HAVE, with this sanctioning organization now
that you have asked. i also have seen some other "gems" about safety and
rules if you would like me to contact you offline

now i know everyone is gonna say that inspectors have alot to do , they are
there to help, they arent perfect , they are volunteers,  AND I 100 % AGREE
AND compliment their efforts , that is not the issue here, i can tell from
feedback on our vehicle already that these same inspectors are trying to
tell me our car is illegal, when it is by the book 100 % legal, and very
safe to boot, but their interpretation is right and mine is wrong , even
though it meets scta rules verbatim, and there is nothing i can do about it
except take it. actually ardundoug, our car has been "questioned" by
several inspectors alredy, spoiler, airdam, chine blades, breathers, etc. -
but i dont know them on a first name basis either, so, ardundoug i dont
think im just talking out my *** even though im not a seasoned vet in the
landspeed world .

i mean this in a nice way, TO ALL, im actually a nice, easygoing person in
real life

im sure the scta will have a warrant waiting for black radon engineering at
the bonneville entry road checkpoint this year, MY FIRST scta event as a
competitor ardundoug,  positive regards to all- im thru with trying to
discuss this rules thread, really

doug-