Re: Rules

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, dhaller@techline.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:29:48 -0800 (PST)

--- ARDUNDOUG@aol.com wrote:
Anyhow, looking at the
>  rule book I kinda thought it was easy for a
> rookie to follow and not to
>  intense like other organizations like nascar,
> nhra and so on. It looks to be
>  written to leave the door open for inovation
> with a strong emphasis on
>  safety

>  Dave Haller #93 wrote

>     I agree with Dave. The "name-of-the-game"
is innovation with
> Land Speed Racing. I look at the rulebook
> as a broad guide as well as a source of where
> the limits are.
>     I would hate to see the rulebook get to
> where it's a blueprint of what a
> car should look like. We've all seen what that
> did to NASCAR and NHRA.
>     My feeling is that if the rules don't
> specifically prohibit a certain
> innovation, get a reading on it from the
> appropriate committee.

>                             Ardun Doug in CA
>                             # 1313 XXF / FMR

Hooray for you!!!  Some of these discussions
regarding rules get way out of hand.  I agree
that the rule book is in great health - let it
be!!  It gives all the guidance we need.  I've
built to rule books that specified what size
cotter pins had to be used before, and and I've
seen guys not pass tech inspections because they
had two too few twists on their safety wire! I
once had to tape the face of my tach over because
it was made of glass, and when I tried to explain
that i needed to see the tach, I was reminded
that if I continued the "argument", I would be
banned for a year! I raced without the tach!
Believe me, if you don't like this rule book, you
just don't know how good you have it! My regards
to SCTA, ECTA, USFRA and anybody else who adopts
this set of rules, and my hat off to the guys who
so carefully put it together and maintain it!!

=====
Dick J
in east Texas
ECTA #72  FX/GMR