Re: Rules

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: Rules
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 14:57:14 -0700
Like Tom says, seems like inspectors often have "suggestions" at tech.   I
think the
log book has helped things as I have heard "I'd like to see this changed next
time
you run" and had it noted in the log book. This has given me time to do a proper
job, rather than jury-rig something on the salt just to please an inspector. I'd
rather "fix it than fight it" unless I thought it was just plain ridiculous
(this
has never happened) Also, I have never been given a "pass" on an item thought
to be
a real hazard. The closest was my first inspection. I had been told no seat
brace
would be needed as one of the horizontal roll bars was only 2" from the seat
back,
and thus, could not possibly tip over backward in a crash. WRONG! Flunked tech
with
admonition "don't bring it back until it's fixed" Well, a pre-dawn raid on a
Wendover grocery store's trash (?) pile provided a bread rack with 1" box
steel. A
borrowed drill moter, handful of nuts & bolts and a few muffler clamps solved
the
problem (although the seat seemed to grow Mickey Mouse ears) Point here is
follow
the book as best you can and there will be fewer problems in the tech line. Be
wary
of any advice that starts out "don't worry about that....." As for personal
interpretations by inspectors, I have never seen ANY racing organization that
didn't
have opinionated tech inspectors . Personally, I have found SCTA and USFRA
inspectors to be critical, but fair. With a production car there is a lot less
room
for interpretation (yes, I DO door panels!) than a streamliner. Case in point,
a few
years ago, a well-known streamliner pilot-tech inspector said "I don't mean to
insult you, but this looks like a street car"  Exactly the point of Production
class.
Ed
C/GT #128