Re: Youngsters

To: "dahlgren" <dahlgren@uconect.net>, "DOUG ODOM" <popms@thegrid.net>
Subject: Re: Youngsters
From: "John Linville" <bellytk@nh.ultranet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:32:20 -0500
Good exercise for snowy, cold days to think back to your youth, eh?  My dad
was a carpenter so when I became interested in hot rods, about age 11 or 12
I think, I was on my own.  I would haunt the local cigar store waiting for
the next month's issue of Rod and Custom (the little ones) and read them in
study hall.  Small town in upstate New York so there weren't many cars/hot
rodders to hand with.   There was a welding shop in our town owned by a guy
named Gordon Ross.  He ran a NASCAR modified at the now defunct Agawam, MA
race track.  Great little '37 Chev coupe.  Started hanging out there when I
got my license at 16 and he evidently took a liking to me.  He used to break
in the small blocks for his race car by putting them in an old '47 Ford
tudor and pushing his welding truck with the sedan up Route 9.  Sold me that
tudor sedan with the aluminum adapter chev/ford for $75 dollars.  I found a
'57 Chev 283 in a local junkyard, this being about 1960, and rebuilt it in a
barn, running up to the weld shop and asking questions almost daily.  I was
one proud kid when I got that rig on the road!  I was working at Mac's mobil
station part time then and the boss did a lot of work on state trooper cars
so he kept me out of hot water several times a month.  Been bitten by the
bug ever since.  Took a hiatus in the late sixties/early seventies to tour
the oceans of the world in Uncle Sam's submarine force but started back up
once I was back on land to stay.  I'll never forget my mother, in response
to another ladies remark about my general greasy state of dress, that at
least she always knew where I was on a Saturday night as she could look out
the kitchen window and watch me doing my almost weekly transmission change
on the sedan, having lunched another '39 Ford tranny.  Wow, used to buy them
for $5-10 apiece.  Had quite a pile of cases when I went into the Navy.