Re: Youngsters

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Youngsters
From: "Hyatt Engineering Ltd." <Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:35:32 -0500
I have enjoyed the threads regarding youngsters.  It is good to observe
people sharing what they love with kids.
It seams that a logical extension of that would be to define a class for
"Junior Land Speed Racers", something parallel to what NHRA has done with
Jr. Dragsters.  But it should be distinct from the Jr. Dragsters and
tailored around the things that make LSR special, the innovation, the
absence of handicaps (bracket racing), the attention to safety, etc.

Anyone interested?  I have four kids who would sign up in a heartbeat!

I roughed out what I had in mind below.  I am sure that there will be other,
and probably better approaches.  But I thought it might stimulate discussion
if there were some specifics to react to.

Jr. LSR Class Proposal

Goal
Provide an opportunity for youngsters to safely get involved in LSR with a
direct migration path to adult racing.

Rules
The existing rules would be applied to the cars. The only difference between
Adult and Jr. cars would be the displacement of the engine, with the Jr.s
limited in size to limit the maximum velocity attainable to a level suitable
for the age group.  Therefore the child could drive the parents car with an
engine swap down to a K or L engine?(L=250cc?, M=125cc?).  Or a car built
from scratch for the child could transition to adult racing with an engine
swap up in displacement.
The rules regarding the engine should support the innovation associated with
special construction categories, with classes for various engine types
(flat-head, OHV, electric, etc.) as well as displacements.

Ages
This approach could not be applied to the entire 8-16 age group that NHRA
has defined without limitations.  Eight year olds clearly cannot drive heavy
door-slammers with sticks, chutes, etc., no matter how small the engine and
how slow the car.  Perhaps the age allowed should be dependent on the weight
and complexity of the car. For example:

Age   Max. Vehicle Transmission Maximum                                 Max,
         Weight                              Engine Class
Velocity
10     1000 lbs.     centrif.              M (L if side valve?)
50 mph
13     1800 lbs.     centrif. or Auto.  L  (M if fuel?)
75 mph
15     2500 lbs      any                   K   (J for heavy cars?)
100 mph

Records
Records could be listed per age group, for example a class might be. age 12,
GL/M

Track
If it caught on and there were too many of them to share the short track,
how much trouble would it be to give them their own small circle track (1
mile?) with a single clock?
Or they could run late in the week, after their parents have all blown
engines and there is more track time!