Re: Chassis Tubing

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chassis Tubing
From: "Hyatt Engineering Ltd." <Hyatt-Engineering-Ltd@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 12:22:39 -0500
Tom and John,

You will find 2" tubing less expensive from some sources than 1.75 or 1.625,
just because it is manufactured in higher volume.

I think that the expense DOM is not required.

And I have a question of my own. An earlier thread mentioned the use of
heavier walled tubing so the thinning typical on the outer portion of bends
would not drop below .120", but the rule book specifies "nominal" thickness,
so I assume this is not a problem ?? (but had better ask).

Regarding the little tubes on the cycles, I will speculate that they are
justified by the low mass of the vehicles.  A 2g impact of a 500 kg bike
will certainly not apply the loads to a cage that a 1500 kg door slammer
would. So if we wanted to get fanatical about it, the tubing size should
correlate to the product of the vehicle weight and speed.

The 2g value is one I grabbed out of the air, what kind of "extreme event"
decelerations do most folks design their lakesters or streamliners to?  I
have read that 4.5 g's is the norm in formula one, but they have big curbs
and things to hit.

Thanks,
 Greg