Re: Flatheads & GMC's

To: V4GR@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flatheads & GMC's
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:54:54 EDT
In a message dated 06/19/2000 2:24:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time, V4GR@aol.com
writes:

<<
 Russ; When I was a kid selling newspapers on the corner, across the street
 was a drugstore. The soda jerk drove a stock bodied 32 Chevy 5 window with a
 302 in it. How I loved that car. When he went in the Army he tried to give
me
 a good deal but I was just to young to have a car. When I first ran at the
 salt with my 32 Ford 5 window with a 270 in it I loved that car to.

One of the neatest things about that car was it and other GMC cars got the V8
guys so upset at the perceived advantage of a GMC that they went off into a
corner of only
 Ford and Merc engines so that they wouldn't be getting beat anymore.
###########
    Rich,
    It's more than a "perceived" advantage. GMC's do indeed have a REAL
advantage over the Flatty.
    Regards the "corner of only Ford and Merc engines", splitting the "X"
class made it to where the GMC guys lost the part of the class they could
usually beat, and then had to compete only against  their "peers" for a
change. I would imagine that the SBC engine guys said the same thing about
"their own little corner" when the "X" classes were split off from the group
years ago.
    I'm sending you unser separate cover the response I sent to Russ Meeks
that set him off..........Doug
         I don't know what Doug said but I do know he is a good guy, so maybe
 there is some misunderstanding here.   Rich Fox