Re: flatheads & GMC's

To: The Butters Family <bbutters@dmi.net>,
Subject: Re: flatheads & GMC's
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:00:32 -0700 (PDT)
Well, from my perspective, I think it might be
gears.  Back then, in high school days, you
slapped on a couple carbs and duals, maybe raised
compression and if you were a "real" mecahnic,
stuck in a cam.  Hardly anybody changed gearing
from whatever came in the car.  Fords had more
available, even had an overdrive.  Old Chevs just
had one gear (as far as I knew).  Even with my
high school jalopy, I could pull a car length on
most Fords coming off the line, but when I went
for second, they were still pulling first, and
caught me, when they went for second, they just
kept going, and going, and going.  I had to reach
for high gear at about fifty five - as I remember
it, some of those Ford guys were going to seventy
in second! When people really started racing
these things, they used different gearing.  Ford
guys had several different rear ends, two speed
differentials and all that good stuff.  I believe
that the GMC 6 has more torque and HP potential
all the way up the line, and the Wayne head puts
it in a whole other world.

=== message truncated ===

=====
......(In East Texas)........