Re: Bat. Sw.

To: "The Butters Family" <bbutters@dmi.net>, "Joe Timney" <joetimney@dol.net>,
Subject: Re: Bat. Sw.
From: "Mike Manghelli" <mmanghel@hughes.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:45:16 -0700
Folks,

Joe has the best idea for mounting the cut off switch, cables and levers.
The switch belongs next to the battery in most applications.  And it is true
that an alternator can supply enough voltage fed back through a light bulb
to keep a motor running.  Just ask me how I know, 8.2 vdc was enough to keep
my wife's new diesel pickup running the first time I fired it up at home the
day before we left.  A quick stop at the Radio Shack for one of those
electrical one way valves, (a diode for you electrically minded folks) fixed
the problem.

Remember the guys and gals that respond to an incident are looking for a
place front or rear (rear preferred) to shut things down when they get
there.  We are as concerned for your safety as much as ours when we roll
onto a incident and things are running, fuel is spraying etc... Normally the
engines are off, but #*&% happens, especially when cars crash.

Flaming river makes a great cut off switch that has separate contacts to
wire a mag kill.  Just used one and extended the supplied remote linkage in
Ron Main's Flat Fire.  The lever is accessible from the rear of the car and
the switch is mounted 2.5' forward next to the battery (mag kill wired there
also).  You can find them at:  http://www.flaming-river.com/enter.htm

Mike (helping to set things straight) Manghelli
SCTA President