Re: Rotary Engines (was Re: New Category)

To: Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: Rotary Engines (was Re: New Category)
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:48:27 -0400
heads up might be an advantage but it is an advantage to the 2 strokes
to run heads up too.. at 2.1 or 2.0 they would move to an F car.. It
seems appropriate that if FIA and SCCA both use a factor of 2 why
doesn't SCTA ?? It does not matter if it is 2 or 2.1 as the engine class
would remain the same.. They make less power than a 3 liter piston
engine but more than a 2 liter..typical is 350 hp from a very good 13b
NA engine on gasoline.. Some may argue this is high but have the dyno
sheets to prove it... a good 2 liter makes about 304hp and a good 3
liter makes about 450hp..even a mediocre 3 liter ought to make more than
350hp...It would seem to me that the X2 factor would give the rotaries a
fighting chance at least and maybe bring some cars back out that were
hopelessly handicapped. NHRA now runs them I think anyway in the IMPORT
class and it is pretty much a bracket race so engine size does not mean
much. Do yo think it is a good idea to factor them the same as other
large sactioing bodies do? If so then is it possible to make the a X2
instead of a X3 for 2001?? If not why not? It seems that X2 is the most
sensible # as SCCA has the most experience with the engines over the
years and it is the factor they use. I suspect they played with it a lot
before they settled on it and it makes the most sense when you look at
how the engines actually work. Is a formal letter of review of the
factor appropriate?? If so where does it get addressed?? do the other
people on the rules committee read this newsgroup?

Dave Dahlgren