E Motors

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: E Motors
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:26:13 -0500
Keith and the list
Hey Keith, your "World" comment reminded me that I had not thrown my 2
pence worth into the list for some time.
Had to look up what an E Motor class is - 3.0 litre to 4.26 litre right?.
Here in the UK we would run the Alloy Rover V8 - was of course the Buick
alloy block V8 - in this capacity.  Worked on a gasoline burner with
supercharging and single 600 Holley for circuit racing - reliable power
(350 bhp) from 3.5 litre, but UK tuners now use them at 4.2 litre or more.
We also have a drag racing series for Rover engines and many live with
Nitrous Oxide injection as well giving up to 600 bhp (mostly estimated not
on the dyno).
An alternative would be the TVR (as you may know a UK road sportscar)
engine which is also used for circuit racing. The AJPV8 engine needs
reducing in capacity (it is 4.6 litre) yet gives 440 bhp as a standard
factory motor at 6750 rpm.  The whole Tuscan car would not cost $100K!
With all this talk of expensive Indy or Champ Car motors do you have a
state or national lottery to win the purchase price?
The UK fastest record for the 'E Class' is 200.66 mph on a 2.1 mile runway
- set by a Ferrari 512M sports racing car in 1977!!
No land speed activity planned in the UK until the spring or summer.
Malcolm Pittwood, (in a wet England, where most of the major rivers have
burst their banks and flooded homes and fields - but not Derby).