Occupation

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Occupation
From: "Jim Bickford" <jbickford@volcano.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 07:59:05 -0800
Jim Bickford, born 12/29/48 in Sacramento, California. Now living in
Jackson, CA., which is in the Mother Lode Gold country of the Sierra
foothills 50 miles east of Sacramento. Married to my lovely wife Susan 31
years with one son Gary 30 years old. After 4 years of service in the Air
Force have been working 28 years for Pacific Gas & Electric Company
presently supervising 7 fleet repair garages in the Central Valley from
Stockton to Merced.

Been involved in racing since the age of 8, from go karts, motorcycles,
midgets and sprint cars. Started racing motorcycles at Bonneville in 1978
as builder/tuner with partners Ted Gansberger and Les Ranger. Won the 1984
El Mirage season championship. In 1992 began construction of a H/BFS which I
raced until August 1998 when I blew it over in the middle mile at 280 mph.
Thanks to tech inspectors Rich Manchen, Mike Cook and Fred Dannenfelzer's
attention to detail, I am still here today.

This year to keep idle hands busy, Les and I ran the motorcycle again at
Bonneville. Next year we plan to run the full season with the bike. We have
a few records to recapture and then another streamliner.

Jim Bickford