Re: Occupation

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Occupation
From: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:57:39 -0800
Keith
I agree, Tom left out lots of his past. But if you look at his web site you
will see why. It would take several pages for a brief story of his involvement
with SCTA /  BNI. There are many stories and tales of Tom and his family. The
years I have known him just make me want to keep on doing what I do to keep
people like him in the sport. This is whats going to inspire the new breed and
the next generations something to look forward to.

It's hard to believe how many new racers and fans we are getting each year, but
the land speed web sites and the magazines are renewing the salt fever. There
have been more stories the last two years then in the past 10 years. The sports
media is covering more and more of the events.

Other than that a little update on Dougs ride in the dirt. About a quarter of a
mile into the run the car was starting to move around and as it continued down
course it got worse as the tire tracks indicated. Some 845 ft. before the
finish the car started into a spin and as it went around it started to fly and
did a very hard flip coming down on the cage and bounced up on the wheels and
spun several more time and hooked the ground when the spindle broke off causing
a couple more flips with the car landing upside down on the cage.The car
traveled some 1400 ft from start to end.

I was about the forth person to the car. He was alert and wanting out. The
medical crew checked him out and let him remove his helmet. He sort of looked
like someone smacked him in the face with the flat side of a shovel. He was
able to get out on his own and go to the ambulance for additional check out.

The construction was well done and the only failure was the spindle pin boss
breaking off the axle. There was one side brace bent on the right side. We did
not see any other failures but we are limited to what we can do on the lake
bed.Most of the body stayed on the car much to everyones supprise. Normally
they are in pieces, the nose can be salvaged.

All of this is good news and speaks well of our rules. When followed, they
work. When he gets his pretty face back I'm sure the smile will get better. I
told Gail afterwards we would have a tough time telling you about it with all
of the build up about him coming to the meet.
She's a trooper and a sweetheart.

OK, enough of that. In a couple of days I will try and give all of you a little
background on myself.
Glen (and warm again on the beach at 76 degrees today.)