Re: International Records

To: <Nt788@aol.com>, <kturk@ala.net>, <webmaster@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: International Records
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:39:14 -0800
Jack,

     That negates what we want to have happen, the introduction of enough
salt from the remaining 73 million tons taken from the racing surface that
we are back on the original thirteen mile track used by the land-speed
racers of the thirties and in 1947.  The current euphoria about the "good"
salt could go away after one or two years of failure by Reilly to pump brine
and we would be back to patching mud to prepare a course.  I've done it and
it sucks!

     If we are going to have racing on the Bonneville Salt flats in the
future we had better all work to get the thirteen miles back.  After that
happens the questions of qualifying runs, two run records or three run
records will be moot.  The recognized AAA land-speed records set in the
thirties were two run records.  The FIA only wants two runs to certify. The
hot-rodders of 1949 were the ones to introduce the three run situation.

     As far as no extra distance ... is that for starting or stopping?

     Cobb and Campbell both used a dog leg on the north end of their runs to
help get additional run-up for their records.

Wes