Re: more liner layout

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: more liner layout
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:06:43 EST
In a message dated 02/13/2001 10:14:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ddahlgren@snet.net writes:

<< What???? Arms fold under side load??? Geez quit getting them
 off a 54 Chevy then.. The g loadings on the salt are so
 modest as to be not worth considering. What about all those
 Indy car A-arms folding up? who is the one that came up with
 this theory? We do not have tires that will contain any sort
 of side load in the first place. When was the last time an
 A-arm folded up on the salt? Cars that can generate the
 highest lateral forces all seem to have a-arms. Do you think
 you can exceed 2 g's lateral load with the tires we have
 without the tire slipping on the salt? Joe Timney help me
 here i am drowning in this one...
 Dave Dahlgren (a very confused guy over this one!)

Dave,
    I believe that the objection to the unsprung "A" arm front suspension
came from the incidents where the side loads during a spin caused the tire to
"peel" off of the rim, resulting in the rim digging into the race surface and
starting the car "pencil-rolling"............Ardun Doug King