Re: Maxton

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maxton
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 08:40:52 -0400 (EDT)
Sure Keith, #124 made runs of 126.9, 136.3 and 135.9.  Air density was
changing, naturally, all day, 102 on my meter the first run, 100 the
second, and 99 the last. We were re-jetting the Hilborn. The appearance
of the plugs indicated to us that we were too lean, but in fact it was
just the opposite, I now believe.  Apparently cartridge-fire original
Ardun heads keep the plugs dead clean almost no matter what the mixture
is.  Elmo Gillette told me the other day that he found at Bonneville he
got best power on gas when the electrodes of his racing plugs were just
on the point of melting, from the lean mixture.  But if he guessed wrong
on the air density and jetting and went one jet too lean, he would melt
the electrodes from several plugs altogether and lose the cylinders.
Maxton as one standing mile is a different ballgame from either the
Short Course or the Long Course, not enough time to overheat things that
much.

I'll have another stab at it in the Fall.  I want to get a lot closer to
150, if possible.  This is tremendous fun.

Compression testing and oil drain inspection yesterday showed no
problems.  Compression is now up just a little more than after the first
20 minute driveway test run, showing that Grant rings seat quick.

I heard Willie Glass set a new record Saturday with his Ardun XXF/GR at
161, up from his last year's 159.  Phenomenal when you consider the
existing Bonneville record for our class is 135.  Willie builds his own
Arduns, and he drives the car.  You have to hand it to him.  I
understand Willie plans to go to Bonneville in August and try to take
the XXF/GR record.

Just got the Sept. Rod & Custom, which has a GREAT article about Maxton,
focusing on Brett and Regan Yates' roadster.  This is a million dollars'
worth of publicity for ECTA, David Freiburger did a super job of
conveying exactly what a 170 mph run is like from the driver's seat,
which is bound to turn the heads of many readers.  Congratulations to
you, Keith, for organizing the deal!  Cheers Bill