Re: Speed Week concerns

To: glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Speed Week concerns
From: "Chris \"Dad\" Land" <eaglemot@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:47:42 -0400
>  A rider that wears his helmet loose to provide
> visibility better think of his safety and work on the wind screen, bubble or
> whatever is in front of him.

hate to be chiming in but a bunch of the officials & my fellow salt racers were
charmingly referring to me as "he's one of those Harley guys" . i was told a
joke
about it but won't repeat it here. i think it was a good thing??? but i had a
snell 2000 helmet this year which has a different kind of sticker inside than
previous years. and it was the first one a lot of people had the opportunity to
see. i really don't like helmets. i believe i should be able to have the freedom
to choose, when i'm out on a country road enjoying a nice summer day.  but when
i'm racing, i want the best helmet i can afford as well as suit, boots & gloves.
why?  well they offer a fire retardant lining for my racing suit. costs less
than
$200 more. did i have the $$ for it?  NAH!!  but i told my wife that us
motorcycle guys weren't required to have flame retardant suits like the car guys
but you have to ask yourself this question... at what point, sliding down the
salt, dirt, concrete, drenched in oil & gas, on a machine that has had a
catastrophic event, so now you & it are on fire, going above 100. do you say,
"self, i sure which i'da spent that extry $200 on the flame shit".  i guess, i
think i'm worth it, or she does. but as far as the helmets, i want one that fits
my head & is snug & tight. so i don't have to fight my helmet wobbling around on
my head at 100 or better.... seems like a loose helmet might help break my neck
as opposed to a tighter well fitting one.   me & my teammate wear Nolan Helmets
with a snell 2000 rating & we are very very happy.  i do like a tinted face
shield versus clear, so that way i don't have to shove sunglasses in my helmet
avoid going snowblind.  ol' dad   lone eagle racing #566