Re: LSR in Hot Rod

To: <Want1937hd@aol.com>, <john@engr.wisc.edu>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LSR in Hot Rod
From: wspotter <wester6935@home.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 07:26:46 -0700
Bob,

Obviously their new car brakes worked well enough that they could run a
fleet ... (my insurance company says five or more cars is a fleet) ... of
Stanley Steamers from one end of what is now Rocky Mountain National Park to
the other.  But going up to and down from 12,070 feet, I can't imagine what
kind of experience that was, riding in a convoy of those cars.  Apparently
most of the riders were wealthy enough to have either owned a car or at
least to have ridden in one by the time they would have had that adventure.
There must have been quite a bit of romancing to bring people to that
spectacularly beautiful area and to get them to make the auto trip over the
summit once they were there.  Having driven it alone last month I'd happily
do it again in an open car with someone else driving.

I wonder how the wildlife reacted to those convoys?  It didn't seem to
bother the deer, elk and moose that I saw but they have had generations to
get accustomed to it.

One of the Stanley brothers was a major property owner in the Estes Park
area.

Wes