Re: LSR in Hot Rod

To: wester6935@home.com, basavage@earthlink.net, FreiburD@emapUSA.com,
Subject: Re: LSR in Hot Rod
From: Want1937hd@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:03:56 EDT
In a message dated 9/7/01 10:56:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wester6935@home.com writes:

<< wester6935@home.com (wspotter)
 To:    basavage@earthlink.net (Bryan A. Savage Jr), FreiburD@emapUSA.com
(David Freiburger), land-speed@autox.team.net (land-speed@autox.team.net)

Wes, I agree with enerything you said. Bob in connecticut
 David, Bryan, List,

 Having watched the Vesco car through several engine installations and
 watching their progress, I'm reminded of the Mormon Meteor that Ab Jenkins
 ran on the salt in the 1930's.  Mormon Meteor II was a specially built body
 on a Duesenberg chassis designed for racing.  Running a Duesenberg engine in
 it's first configuration it was not competitive with the airplane engine
 powered British cars of the day.  With the installation of the Curtiss
 Conqueror airplane engine and new body work it instantly became a record
 setting car, rebadged as Mormon Meteor III.
 The Vesco car is a true hot-rod.  It, like the Burkland's car is home built.
 Rick like Gene just happens to have exceptional skills in that area.  It has
 had American automotive engines (one year an attempt to use an Offenhauser
 or two) over the years it has run on the salt.  Al has stayed with the
 Chrysler engine since that car was first built and run as a lakester as far
 as I know.  I have a problem with your decision because the Vesco's are only
 doing what other racers have done in the past ... going with the powerplant
 that gave them the most horsepower.
 If you will consider the 444 Vesco car recently campaigned by Terry Nish, it
 set records with everything from a Riley 4-port conversion on a model A
 engine to the "Fastest SB Chevvy on planet earth."  Where do you draw the
 line there?  Aftermarket speed equipment or blocks that never saw the
 Chevrolet factory?  Or in Al's case, how much of his powerplant is actually
 manufactured by Chrysler?  All of the big three automakers experimented
 extensively with turbine engines in the fifties and sixties ... what if they
 had been able to solve clearance problems and other concerns?  How many
 additional turbine engines would be running today on the salt?
 Obviously I'm only raising questions, not volunteering answers.  However my
 opinion is that the 111 car is a true, wheel driven, hot-rod in every sense
 of the word.

 Wes Potter >>