Re: Freeze Plugs

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Freeze Plugs
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 11:55:01 -0500
Keith Turk wrote:

> Okay for the amusment of all concerned I'll tell on myself again....
>
> I'm detailing a Small Block for the local speed shop... ( Fun Stuff in my
> book )  and part of the process was to knock out the freeze plugs.   Soooo
> I get out my trusty screwdriver and knock a hole in one and leverage it and
> out it pops.... the next one didn't fair quite as well..... it went into
> the water passage and went away.... Hmmm not good......   So.... a plasma
> cutter later we didn't have any more problems with them going into the
> block...   (ain't no chance of going in if they have a BIG hole that looks
> like a pop top can)  And hey with the advent of sleeves they can fix that
> bore where the Plasma cutter went throught the block J/K
>
> Someone out there has a REAL way of removing these.... any thoughts
>
> Keith ( yeah and I use Sledge hammers to put in 4 penny nails )

Keith,
What was that one; "A hammer is a tool for locating the most fragile and
expensive parts near the piece you wish to hit..."

What about the old dent-puller idea; weld on a rod and use a slide-hammer?

For those of us up north where frost is real; I had a stock block-heater plug
fail; the cross-bar inside cracked and the plug blew out on the highway. (still
hurts to think about but seemed to have survived until I noticed the pinned
temp.
gauge)  I supposed buddy at the factory ate his wheaties that morning before
torquing the bolt.
Ouch.
Rick