Some Thoughts on FIA

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some Thoughts on FIA
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:15:00 -0800
The FIA seems to have been beaten up pretty good the last few days. I do not
have a clue as to their internal workings, nor have I ever met or been
inveolved with anyone who knows how they work. But, I gotta say that I
admire them for their unflinching set of standards. You run your car two
ways within an hour. I know that most of the racing venues, other than the
World Finals International events, that run one direction for a record and
mostly have to wait overnight for the second run. I believe they, the FIA,
are right in the manner in which they force certification. It eliminates any
wind bias and temperature and pressure bias. I also believe that the way
most of the events here are run is also correct for what is being done. I
simply cannot imagine Speedweek being run with several hundred vehicles in 2
directions on the same course. Yehaaa. What confusion that would bring and
most likely develope some safety issues as well. I think our method is the
absolute best there is for what has to be accomplished. Again, though, the
only true world records is in my opinion those that are run 2 ways within an
hour.

In the interest and spirit of racing, is there a consideration to some of
the more prestigious club officers starting a dialog with the FIA and FIM to
understand how they work internally and to see if there is someway we could
assist in helping them solve their apparent problems? Seems better than just
bitchin' about it...

mayf (steps down from soap box....)