Re: Tire reliabilty, and traction control

To: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Subject: Re: Tire reliabilty, and traction control
From: rtmack <RTMACK@pop3.concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 12:33:55 -0600
Skip:
There may be some cases of tire failure that are purely a function of overload--
God knows some of our racers manage to load the hell out of them.  But you were
the
first one who told me (before I had ever turned a wrench on "the Rose") that
many
of the fastest LSR cars had to deal with about "15% wheelspin".  I don't
understand
why you are saying something different now.  And based on my own examination
(and,
admittedly marginal expertise)-- I believe that the drive tires on the very fast
lakester pitted near us showed evidence of spinning.  There were abrasion marks,
for one thing-- and some cord showing through where the surface had abraded
away.
Abrasion marks come from spinning the tires.  There was also a little
blistering,
and bare places where it appeared that blisters had popped-off.  As you know,
blisters come from heat.  Heat (usually) comes from spinning the tires.  We know
that that car seems to have the ability to really load the drive tires-- so
overload may have been a contributing factor (as it may have been in Earl
Wooden's
case)-- but seeing the tire abraded down to the cord suggests to me that the
main
factor is probably wheelspin.
Yes, it would be better to get the opinion of a real expert, rather than just
exchanging opposing hot rodder opinions.  Shouldn't be hard to find someone with
sufficient expertise in tire failure modes and  post-failure analysis.  I
probably
bump into one or two at any CART race I work.  Can we get a representative
sample
of  (recently) failed tire carcasses?  If so, I would be willing to try to
recruit
an appropriate expert to our cause.

There is nothing here that I see as a valid arguement why racers in non-vintage
classes should not be allowed to use TC, if they want to.
Russ