tc

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: tc
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 15:12:07 -0500
Dave Dahlgren
2 Ashby Street
Mystic, CT. 06355
860-536-6125 daytime
860-536-7235 fax
ddahlgren@snet.net

Monday, December 03, 2001

Attention: Steve Batchelor / SCTA tech

Reference: traction control definition

        Steve I am looking for a definition as to what constitutes traction
control
in a vehicle raced at Bonneville.  To my understanding traction control as is
used on most vehicles involves the use of either applying the brakes at one or
more wheels to reduce the speed of the wheels that is spinning. Is this the
same definition that is used by the SCTA ?

To my knowledge I can do all of the following without breaking any rules in
most classes other than a few vintage ones, please correct me if I am wrong.

1. Engage the rev limiter for the engine whenever I want to limit the speed of
the engine.
2. Use a mechanical or electronic device to change the ignition timing  when
it is not at a desired setting.
3. Use a mechanical or electronic device to control the fuel mixture when it
is not at a desired setting.
4. Use a mechanical or electronic device to regulate the boost from a
supercharged or turbo charged engine when it is not at a desired setting.
5. Use a clutch that does not lock up completely or does so with varying
amounts according to rpm and other factors.
6. Disengage the nitrous system or vary the amount of nitrous delivered
electronically according to time and other factors.
7. Use a mechanical or electronic device to change the engine operation in any
way when at different speeds, rpms or different gears.
8. Use a mechanical or electronic device to change what gear I have engaged(
automatic transmission, air shifter and other related ways).

Things that I understand have to be in a drivers control are,

1. Steering
2. Brakes
3. Throttle

This list is not allowing for the obvious fire bottles, seatbelt release,
canopy release and other safety items.  It is my understanding that that as
long as the driver has full control of those three items I have not broken any
rules regarding traction control.  The other things in the list of eight items
are done on a routine basis for whatever reason the car builder might want or
the engine builder though necessary and present no inherent safety issues
either good or bad and really take very little control away from the driver. I
also make the assumption as to when the rule was made regarding traction
control the mechanism that was employed at the time and deemed either
dangerous or unfit was the implementation of single wheel brakes under some
control that was not the drivers control. Please correct me on this and
anything else here that I may not have a proper understanding concerning the
scope of the rule or the original intention. I have the understanding when
reading the rules that I may engage rev limiters and boost controls along with
everything else in the top list of eight items at any time I chose for
whatever reason I see fit as an engine builder or car builder.  Please give me
SCTA's view on this matter.  It has started to seem as though anything that
might change the power output of the engine is now construed to be traction
control. Most anything that changes the engine or drive line operation is by
nature traction control if it changes the amount of torque at the drive
wheels.  Most of these items to my knowledge are legal if you change what they
are called.

Slider clutch limits torque at the rear wheels by not locking up completely
with no driver input.

Automatic transmission selects the drive gear by measure speed differentials
and selecting the proper gear changing the torque at the rear wheels.

Turbo chargers by nature of operation change boost pressure when the engine
sees a different load without driver intervention.

Nitrous systems that are progressive limit the amount of power output and vary
the torque applied to the rear wheels without driver intervention.

I could come up with a very long list but will not bore you with endless
lists.

Please advise me of what constitutes traction control according to the SCTA
rulebook and please be as specific as possible with any examples so any future
problems might be avoided.

Thank you,

Dave Dahlgren