RE: lakester frame

To: "'Allen Young'" <riveroak@cncnet.com>, joetimney@dol.net,
Subject: RE: lakester frame
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:49:13 -0600
Allen;

This may be another controversial subject but let me fire the opening salvo:

Building a chassis with square tubing is FAR easier than round tubing!!! The
chassis tube intersections will drive you crazy if you do it with round
tubing; both ends must be cut to a precise shape to fit snugly for a good
weld and this gets VERY difficult with round tubing. After cutting and
fitting one end, the other end may get screwed up and you'll wind up
scrapping lots of tubing and effort. Square tubing intersections are usually
a straight or simple angle cut. Round tubing does have a slight advantage in
torsional stiffness but it just isn't worth the hassle. I've built both and
unless it's something that is going to fly, I won't build another round-
tube chassis. OK, now it's someone else's turn to weigh in on this
question.....

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ