RE: lakester frame

To: "'ardunbill@webtv.net'" <ardunbill@webtv.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: lakester frame
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 16:32:51 -0600
Bill;

I'll have to admit that the round- tube chassis that I built was before the
invention of "Joint Jiggers"-- it was a hacksaw and a round Nicholsen file
job-- strictly a manual operation. The thing was built out of  1"OD 0.062"
and 3/4" OD x 0.049" round mild steel tubing and the tube intersections were
a nightmare to cut and to (torch) weld. Halfway through the project, I
discovered braze welding (nickel-silver-bronze fillet brazing)and that
solved the welding problems.

The guys who fabricated the Tipo 63 (?) "Birdcage" Maserati chassis must
have been commited to a lunatic asylum after a few weeks of that work.

I'd still recommend square tubing for a chassis. At least if a round tube
roll bar is welded to a square tube chassis, the intersection is still a
straight cut.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ