Re: magneto

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: magneto
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:53:40 EST
In a message dated 3/16/02 9:22:14 AM Central Standard Time,
ddahlgren@snet.net writes:

<<
 What you need is one good mag if they are required. If not any good CD
ignition
 will out perform the mag on an outboard that is why merc and others went to
CD
 Ignition in the first place. Is there a latter model engine with a good
 electronic ignition that you can mount where the mag used to go with some
 reasonable amount of effort. You can also in many cases get better magnets
for
 the flywheel as this is what usually goes bad in a magneto in the first
place.
 Gapping them closer also helped my Johnson outboard a lot too when I had an
old
 40 hp with a magneto igntion.
 Dave Dahlgren

 LGMCAFEE@aol.com wrote:

 > This may be off the land racing topic but still is a motorhead question. We
 > race outboard Merc motors that have a mag on them about like the fairbanks
 > mags on a lot of old farm tractors. What I am going to do is run two
separate
 > mags to one spark plug. I know a lot of drag motors have two mags but they
 > also go to two sets of plugs. My question is will what I'm doing work or
will
 > it back feed and burn up both mags and also do you think there will be any
 > performance advantage. I just got mags mounted and belts run, It looks
like a
 > factory setup if only It works.
 > Thanks for any feedback
 > Larry Mac

 / >>Yes I can use a cd ignition but don't want the hassle of a battery.
These motors are 4 cylinder and don't have magnets in the flywheel. the mag
is driven with a gilmer belt off a cut down flywheel. I guess my question is
will two mags work at all.
Thanks Larry Mac