RE: Rulebook Firewall Question

To: "'gary baker'" <lsr350@hotmail.com>, Dave Dahlgren
Subject: RE: Rulebook Firewall Question
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:05:45 -0500
Gary;

Similar stuff has been used in the aerospace industry for quite a while in
aircraft & spacecraft. It seems to be very effective against fire while
adding little in the way of weight.

Perhaps one consideration in evaluating the effectiveness of a bare (metal)
firewall material is its cold & hot rupture strength. A material with high
cold rupture strength would offer protection against a grenaded engine while
its high hot rupture strength might be measure of how well it could
withstand a fire. I wonder if some firewall metals could be listed in a
table that lists their alloys and minimum thickness required and it might
make the rulebook someday?

I'm not complaining-- the job of rulemaking & scrutineering is tough enough
without nit- picking racers; these are just ideas that I'm bring up in the
spirit of being constructive.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ