Re: Rulebook Firewall Question

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: Re: Rulebook Firewall Question
From: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 21:53:49 +1000
dave
In the fire protection industry we have to provide fire ratings to many types
of metals for up to four hours at 1500 deg F and we achieve this by several
methods , one of the newer methods is the use of special paints  ( intumescent
paints and mastics) which are applied and act just like regular type paints
untill affected by heat they then expand many times there original thickness
filling all gaps and provide a thermal barrier blocking the spread of smoke
and flame and can provide up to 4 hours protection depending on the substrate
, this type of protection  could be used very successfully on any type of fire
wall material greatly increasing its effectivness against fire , yes even
aluminium or wood  or peanut butter, Im using it through out my liner . This
technology can make an aluminium fire wall provide very good fire protection
but what has not been mentioned is the  mechanical strength of the fire wall
material to intrusion or damage and unfortunately aluminium cannot compete
with a good quality steel
cheers Gary