Re: To inject or not to inject...

To: edlutz@laverdajota.com (Ed Lutz), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To inject or not to inject...
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:26:57 -0400 (EDT)
Ed, mechanical fuel injection is fundamentally better than carburetion
because with mfi each cylinder has its own throttle body, which can be
any size necessary to assure that that cylinder gets all the air it
wants.  At the same time each cylinder can get the exact fuel/air ratio
it wants because the system can be adjusted all at once by the bypass
jet size, or cylinder by cylinder via nozzle size if necessary.  Running
conditions in each cylinder can be detected by an exhaust gas
temperature sensor for each header.  A carburetor and manifold setup
always means some inequalities of airflow and fuel/air ratio between
various cylinders, so they  can't all give their best, some compromise
is inevitable.

One carb per cylinder like on many motorcycles gives very close to the
same efficiency as mfi, except for whatever restrictions to airflow are
created by the jets and venturis.

Electronic fuel injection is extremely efficient, and makes great
running engines, but if it only has one oxygen sensor with which to
adjust the air/fuel ratio for the whole engine, as I understand they
usually do, there must still be some minor inequalities between various
cylinders.  Correct me if I'm wrong, folks.

Regards,  Ardun Bill